Dark Lantern's Light
The world is made up of three distinct areas, one for each of the progenitor dragon whose bodies form the universe
Siberys, The Dragon Above
The Dragon Above encompasses the heavens and all that they contain. The Dragon Above is filled with streaks of light, flashes of color, and strange events in the darkness. Across the sky is the Ring of Siberys, a wide band of golden sparkles that stretches from one horizon to another. The Ring is visible even during the day, though it is very faint. Further, it is from this ring that the rare Siberys dragonshards fall to earth. Siberys also contains 12 moons, each moving through separate phases. Some are close and distinct, others faint and difficult to see with the naked eye.
Khyber, The Dragon Below
The Dragon Below is an endless labyrinth spreading below the world. Within the depths of the earth lie countless caverns that range in size from mere inches across to those which could swallow entire cities or nations above. Within these caverns are dark and strange things like flows of lava or unidentifiable liquids, nightmares given form, disturbing creatures from the planes beyond, lost cities, undead thralls, and more. Khyber is dangerous and unforgiving, but those who venture into the depths can find great treasure, naturally including the valuable Khyber dragonshards.
Eberron, The Dragon Between
Between the heavens and the endless depths lies Eberron, the Dragon Between. It is here that the world exists. The Dragon Between seems limited, but in reality it is vast since all the planes of existence (including the material plane) are a part of Eberron. These other plans orbit and interact with the material plane of Eberron depending on their distance. Manifest zones are areas where certain planes have more influence on Eberron, but a plane can also come coterminous with the world, in which case the plane’s traits bleed over into the world and travel between the planes is easy at certain locations.
The world itself is comprised of 4 different continents, a sub-continent, and 8 oceans and seas. The continents are:
- Khorvaire – home of the Five Kingdoms. Formerly ruled by goblin kin, humans and other races have gradually made Khorvaire their home and the continent is something of a melting pot. Khorvaire is the default location of the setting.
- Xen’drik – To the south and west of Khorvaire, Xen’drik was once the home of great civilizations of giants. Their civilizations, and the continent itself, were wrecked many years before and it remains a place of great mystery and danger.
- Sarlona – Far to the east, Sarlona is the home of humanity on Eberron. Sarlona used to be almost as diverse and different as Khorvaire, but now the Inspired and the Empire of Reidra have taken control over much of the continent. They now seek to expand their power into Khorvaire and destroy Adar, the last refuge of free Sarlona.
- Argonnessen – Little is known about Argonnessen, beyond the fact that it is the land of dragons. The dragons have their secrets and wish to keep them from the world. Few explorers or adventurers would brave the wrath of the dragons to pry. Barbarian tribes who worship the dragons lurk on the islands and outskirts of Argonnessen, but that is all.
- Aerenal – The sub continent of Aerenal is to the south and east of Khorvaire and lies between Khorvaire and Argonnessen. It is home to the Elves of the Undying Court, who fought free from slavery to the giants of Xen’drik ages before. From here, they have fought off goblin kin, humans, and even the dragons of Argonnessen.
There are 13 planes in Eberron, though one of them no longer orbits the material plane that contains the world. Dal Quor alone is always distant. The others have different orbital times which brings them close to the material, some as frequently as every few years.
- Daanvi, the Perfect Order
- Dal Quor, the Region of Dreams
- Dolurrh, the Realm of the Dead
- Fernia, the Sea of Fire
- Irian, the Eternal Day
- Kythri, the Churning Chaos
- Lamannia, the Twilight Forest
- Mabar, the Endless Night
- Risia, the Plain of Ice
- Shavarath, the Battleground
- Syrania, the Azure Sky
- Thelanis, the Faerie Court
- Xoriat, the Realm of Madness